Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. My children like them too, so they are a low-stress addition to any meal in our house. Not only do they taste delicious, but they’re also a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium. These sweet potato fries are a delicious blend of savory and sweet with the addition of paprika. You could also use cumin or other spices to jazz things up a bit.
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1½ pounds total)
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into strips (¼ inch – ½ inch thick).
- Place the sweet potato strips in a bowl and add the olive oil. Stir gently so that all the strips are coated with oil.
- Sprinkle salt and paprika evenly over the strips.
- Arrange the strips on a baking sheet, making sure the thickest pieces are on the outside and the thinnest pieces are on the inside.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes and then flip the fries. Continue baking for another 7-10 minutes, until they are light brown and beginning to get crispy.
- Cool slightly before serving.
This batch of sweet potato fries costs $1.69 to make, or $.42 per serving. It’s a wonderful side dish for many different meals, and it’s a nutritional step up from standard French fries.