We enjoy pancakes almost every weekend, so we try to mix up the traditional pancakes once in a while with different flavor combinations. Chocolate and raspberries go so well together, and these pancakes are popular with everyone in my house. The sauce is a simple combination of maple syrup, chocolate, and raspberries, and the pancakes are flavored with raspberry puree. These are great for a special occasion like a birthday or Valentine’s Day.
Ingredients for the pancakes:
1½ cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1½ cups milk
¼ cup raspberry puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients for the sauce:
1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate (single ingredient: chocolate)
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup raspberries
- In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients for the pancakes.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet pancake ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter onto a hot griddle to make 3-inch pancakes.
- To make the sauce, place the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Serve the pancakes with the warm sauce drizzled over them.
This recipe makes 12 pancakes and the total cost is $3.32, or $.83 per serving. These raspberry pancakes with chocolate sauce are a wonderful variation on the classic pancake breakfast, and you shouldn’t expect to see any leftovers.