With the Oscars coming up in a few days, this month’s Recipe Redux challenge invites members to make a healthy version of a dish that’s featured in a movie. There are so many great movie scenes that revolve around food. In choosing my dish, I reached back to a favorite childhood movie, Stand By Me. As a child, I got a big kick out of the pie eating contest in that movie. Pies can be quite unhealthy, full of processed sugar and mysterious shortening. This real food blueberry apple crumb pie features an oatmeal crust with coconut oil, a whole grain crumb topping, a minimal amount of maple syrup for the sweetener, and lots of delicious fruit.
Ingredients for the Crust:
1½ cups oats
¾ cup gluten-free flour (or white whole wheat flour)
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tbs. maple syrup
1 tbs. water (if necessary)
Ingredients for the Filling:
3 cups blueberries
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
¼ cup maple syrup
Ingredients for the Crumb Topping:
2/3 cup oats
2/3 cup whole grain cornmeal
¼ cup shredded coconut
3 tbs. maple syrup
3 tbs. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the crust, combine the oats, flour, and salt in a food processor. Process until the oats are broken down into flour.
- Add the remaining crust ingredients. If the dough is too dry to form a ball, add the water a little bit at a time.
- Roll out the crust between two pieces of wax paper. Transfer the crust to and 8-inch pie pan.
- For the filling, stir together the blueberries, apples, and maple syrup. Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. While it’s baking, stir together the crumb topping ingredients in a large bowl.
- After the pie has baked for 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and add the crumb topping. Turn the oven down to 375 and bake for another 20-30 minutes. The pie is done when the apples are soft and the crumb topping is beginning to brown.
- Let the pie cool before cutting.
The total cost of this pie is $7.69, or $.96 per piece. This healthy blueberry apple crumb pie is a delicious dessert that you can feel good about eating.
Note: The crumb topping is adapted from an apple crisp recipe in The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health.