This unique pesto is the perfect way to use the garlic scape that my farmer sends home in the spring. Garlic scape is the stalk of the garlic plant. It looks like a giant scallion, but it tastes like garlic. I mellow it out a bit by mixing it with artichoke hearts and walnuts. I also added some arugula to this batch because I still had some left after making smoothies and sausage and potatoes earlier in the week.
This is a healthy dip recipe for chips, pita bread, or veggies.
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup chopped garlic scape
- ½ cup artichoke hearts
- Juice from ½ lemon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- handful of arugula or other greens (optional)
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil. Process until it becomes a paste.
- Gradually add the oil through the top of the food processor until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. This pesto can be frozen, and it gets more mellow after several weeks in the freezer.