I love crepes for breakfast on a Sunday morning. They are a delicious treat and a healthy way to start the day. This recipe is adapted from Bette Hagman’s book, The Gluten-Free Gourmet. It makes a big batch of at least 24 crepes, so unless you’re feeding a large crowd you can freeze some for another day. We usually set out a variety of fillings, including blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and sometimes chocolate sauce. I think these berry banana crepes are delicious with just the fruit filling, but my family likes to douse them with maple syrup.
- 1⅓ cups gluten-free flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups non-dairy milk or cow’s milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 cups chopped blueberries
- 2 cups sliced bananas
- Chocolate Sauce, optional
- To make the crepes, mix together the batter the night before you plan to make them. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the first three ingredients. Slowly add the milk and ghee until combined.
- Refrigerate the batter overnight.
- In the morning, stir the batter and heat a bit of ghee in your crepe pan over medium heat. Pour enough batter into the pan to make a thin crepe, swirling the pan around to cover evenly. When the bottom is beginning to brown (after about 2 minutes), carefully flip the crepe and cook the other side for about 10 seconds. If it’s difficult to flip, you may need to cook it a little longer. Once both sides are lightly browned, carefully remove the crepe from the pan and continue with the rest of the batter.
- To assemble, place the chopped fruit and chocolate sauce in the middle of the table.
- Give everyone one or two crepes at a time and select different filling combinations.
- Enjoy plain, with maple syrup, or with chocolate sauce.
Berry Banana Crepes Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $7.94 to make, including the chocolate sauce. I remember paying about that much for one lovely crepe at a crepe stand in Montreal last summer. My batch generates 12 crepes filled with fruit and chocolate, plus another 12 crepes to put in the freezer and save for a rainy day. These are a real bargain and a great way to start your day!
Check out my recipe for savory strawberry spinach crepes too.
Linking to Breakfast Ideas Monday, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Fit and Fabulous Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday, Farm Girl Friday, Allergy Friendly Friday.