This pumpkin cake is a delicious, healthy recipe that makes a festive fall dessert. This is the perfect recipe for a bake sale or last-minute dinner guests.
Fall is here, so it’s pumpkin time in my house. I’ve been perfecting this pumpkin cake for years. It’s one of my favorite treats in the fall, and I can feel good about eating it.
I find that pumpkin recipes don’t need nearly as much oil or added moisture as other baked goods because the pureed pumpkin is so moist. This recipe uses gluten-free flour, but it also works well with white whole wheat flour. Frosting is optional, and I think the cake tastes great with or without the frosting.
- 1¾ cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup palm oil shortening or softened butter
- 2 tbs. solid coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbs. milk (I use non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the icing, combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and mix until well-combined and smooth.
- When the cake has completely cooled, spread the icing in a thin layer on the cake. If you want a thick layer of frosting, double the recipe.
Pumpkin Cake Price Breakdown
This cake costs $7.16 to make, or $.45 per piece. This pumpkin cakes uses lots of healthy ingredients, so you can feel good about serving it to your family.