But it was early spring, so I knew I had to wait. I waited patiently, as I do every summer, until peaches hit $.99 a pound at the grocery store. This is when I pounce. Peach sorbet, peach buckle, peach crisp, or just a plain old peach for a snack – these treats overwhelm our house for the month when the peach price dips to $.99 a pound. My family gets sick of peaches by the end of it all – everyone except me, that is. I could keep going well into the fall. Peach salsa, peach cake, peach smoothie, peach anything, no?
Aside from the peaches in my raspberry jam and some plain peaches for a snack, this was our first real peach dessert this summer. It’s not very sweet like a pre-packaged sorbet you would buy, but it’s very peachy, and the coconut milk gives it a great consistency. I love the idea of keeping the skin on the peaches (thanks to Lisa at 100 Days of Real Food). It’s much easier to skip the peeling step, and the darker color of the skin beautifully dots the final product.
- 1 ½ lb. peaches (about 4)
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- Pit the peaches and puree them in a food processor.
- Add the coconut cream, maple syrup, and lime juice, and mix in the food processor briefly to combine the flavors. Taste it to see if you want to add a little more syrup.
- If you have an ice cream maker, churn the sorbet according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and then place it in an airtight container in the freezer for a couple hours to let the sorbet solidify. I use the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, just put the sorbet directly from the food processor into the freezer.
Peach Coconut Sorbet Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $2.98 to make, or $.50 per ½ cup serving. Making sorbet with sugar instead of maple syrup would bring the price down a bit, but this real food version is still a great bargain.
Linking to Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, What’s in the Box?, Wellness Weekend, Fresh Bites Friday, Farm Girl Friday, Fit and Fabulous Friday, Show and Tell Saturday.