There’s nothing like the smell of cinnamon coming from the oven. No matter what challenges I’m dealing with on a given day, this smell always boosts my spirits. Everyone in my family likes raw carrots, so I don’t feel the need to sneak this vegetable into a muffin to get my children to eat it. However, this classic muffin is such a delicious treat that I like to occasionally dip into my carrot supply and make a batch. This is a whole wheat version, but you can substitute gluten-free flour with equally delicious results.
- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the wet ingredients (everything except the carrots) until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Transfer the batter to the muffin pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Carrot Cake Muffins Price Breakdown
This batch of muffins costs $3.97 to make, or $.33 per muffin. These delicious, fragrant carrot cake muffins are the perfect grab-and-go snack for a busy day.