Avocado Quinoa Salad
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This southwestern avocado quinoa salad is a delicious, healthy recipe. Take this gluten-free, vegan lunch in a mason jar the next time you’re on the go for a satisfying meal!
It’s easy to get stuck eating the same old lunches day after day. I can get into such a rut when it comes to lunches. But with a little planning, lunchtime can be full of unique, healthy dishes that I look forward to eating.
This southwestern avocado quinoa salad is so full of flavor. The citrus vinaigrette is a delicious contrast to the zesty beans, and quinoa adds just the right texture to this dish.
Avocado Quinoa Salad Tips
You can make all the ingredients ahead of time for this avocado quinoa salad. The quinoa is the only thing that needs to be cooked, and the rest of the ingredients are served raw.
This salad can be packed in a mason jar for lunch on the road, or you can stir it right up and serve it on a plate if you’re not taking it to go.
To keep the avocado from turning brown in the jar, I recommend lightly sprinkling it with a combination of lemon juice and water. The creamy bits of avocado make this dish extra special, and it feels like a treat for lunch. I’d be happy eating this all week long!
Try my kale avocado salad for another easy, delicious lunch recipe.
Avocado Quinoa Salad
- 1/4 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 scallion diced
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup citrus vinaigrette
- Boil 1/2 cup of water in a small pot and add the quinoa along with the salt. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is soft. (Keep an eye on it and add more water if needed.) Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the remaining salad ingredients by chopping the vegetables, making the dressing, and seasoning the beans with the taco seasoning. While you’re making the vinaigrette, set aside 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice in a small bowl. Add a tablespoon of water. Sprinkle this mixture over the avocado before adding it to the mason jar. This will keep it from turning brown. (You can skip this step if you’re serving the salad immediately.)
- To assemble the salad, place 2 tablespoons of dressing in each of two pint-sized mason jars. Then stack the ingredients as follows: red pepper, corn, black beans, quinoa, scallions, and avocado on top.
- When you’re ready to serve, shake the jar or stir the ingredients with a spoon so the dressing spreads evenly on all the ingredients.
This recipe costs a total of $3.78, or $1.89 per hearty 2-cup serving. Try this avocado quinoa salad recipe to give yourself a break from your usual lunch.
This is my kinda salad! Avocado and quinoa really were made for eachother! <3
Such a simple lunch idea! I love anything in a jar 🙂