This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This chocolate granola recipe tastes just like chocolate sugar cereal, but it’s full of healthy ingredients. Perfect vegan, gluten-free breakfast recipe!
For years, my husband ate a bowl of sugar cereal for a late night snack. There were so many things wrong with that picture from a health standpoint, but I totally understand the desire for some comfort food at the end of a long day.
He’s moved away from the late night snacking, and I don’t bring sugar cereal into the house. Fortunately, this chocolate granola recipe is a great substitute. It tastes just as good, and it’s full of nourishing ingredients.
We all love chocolate in my family, so this granola doesn’t last long. It’s yummy enough for dessert and healthy enough for breakfast.
Chocolate Granola Tips
This granola gets cooked in the oven at a low, 275 degree temperature. This helps keep the edges from burning, while allowing the whole batch of granola to properly solidify.
Cool it completely before breaking into pieces. You can mix it into a bowl of Greek yogurt for a healthy snack, or serve with milk.
Store this chocolate granola at room temperature in an airtight container. It will keep for several weeks.
Chocolate Granola Recipe
- 2 cups oats
- 2 cups brown rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup almonds (or other nuts/seeds) chopped finely
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, rice cereal, cocoa powder, coconut, and chopped nuts.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to cover evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish (or similar). Bake for about an hour. It should bind together easily and feel solid to the touch.
- Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool completely before breaking apart. Store in an airtight container.
Approximate Nutrition Info
Chocolate Granola Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.87 and it yields 7 cups. This comes out to $.65 per 3/4 cup serving. This chocolate granola recipe makes a delicious, healthy breakfast or snack. Your family won’t miss sugar cereal when you have this in the house.