This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These chocolate macaroons are so amazing! Try this recipe for a Christmas cookie swap. Everyone will love them.
Are you looking for a sweet treat to make for your Valentine? These chocolate macaroons are the perfect little indulgence. Years ago, the Boston Globe Magazine ran a recipe for chocolate coconut macaroons from Clear Flour Bread in Brookline, Massachusetts. I made them several times, and they were deliciously decadent. However, they were expensive to make and they used white sugar and sweetened coconut. My version uses maple syrup as the sweetener and unsweetened shredded coconut. I adapted this recipe from Joy of Baking to come up with these real food chocolate macaroons.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate single ingredient: chocolate
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites and add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the melted chocolate, maple syrup, and shredded coconut, coating the coconut completely.
- Measure out a tablespoon of dough and shape it into a ball. Press it down onto the cookie sheet to flatten slightly. Continue with eight more tablespoons, spacing them evenly on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 13 minutes, until the top of the cookies are set. The inside should remain soft.
- Repeat this process with the remaining batter.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Chocolate Macaroons Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $4.98 to make, or $.19 per cookie. These rich dark chocolate macaroons are the perfect ending to a special meal.