This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This fall harvest stew is a hearty dinner recipe featuring fresh vegetables of the season. This healthy meal is delicious on a cold fall or winter night.
This stew is a great meal for a cool fall or winter evening. You may recall from my squash tortilla soup recipe that I don’t love squash, but since I get a lot of it from my farm share in the fall, I find ways to enjoy it.
The combination of flavors in this fall harvest stew is complex, with sweet apples and squash coming together nicely with spicy sausage and seasonings. It’s based on this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, but I adjusted it to suit our tastes.
Fall Harvest Stew
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups cooked beans black or pinto
- In a large pot, cook the sliced sausage in the olive oil. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove it and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add the squash to the pan and cook for 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the apples and squash are tender.
Approximate Nutrition Info
Fall Harvest Stew Price Breakdown
This recipes costs $6.81, or $1.14 per serving. There’s nothing like a fall harvest soup to celebrate the flavors of the season.