This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This healthy chocolate milkshake recipe is my version of a homemade Frosty. It’s an easy, delicious vegan dessert drink that’s so refreshing!
There’s nothing like a homemade milkshake when you want to drink something decadent. In the summer when it’s hot out, this is the perfect kind of cool dessert that kids and adults love.
This healthy chocolate milkshake recipe is such a delicious drink. It reminds me of a Frosty from Wendy’s, except the ingredient list is quite different. This chocolate shake is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
How to Make a Healthy Chocolate Milkshake
- Coconut Milk – I prefer full-fat canned coconut milk for this recipe.
- Peanut Butter – Unsweetened peanut butter is what I use for this milkshake. The ingredients in the peanut butter are simply peanuts and salt.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Use unsweetened cocoa powder, and adjust the amount to suit your tastes.
- Frozen Banana – The banana should be quite ripe for the best flavor. It’s important to freeze it ahead of time to give the healthy chocolate milkshake the best texture.
- Pure Maple Syrup – I like the maple syrup from Costco, but any pure maple syrup will work well.
Place the Ingredients in the Blender
In a high speed blender, place the coconut milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder, frozen banana, pure maple syrup, and ice cubes in the order listed.
Blend the Chocolate Milkshake
Blend the ingredients on a high speed until the milkshake has a smooth, creamy texture. If it’s too thick for your blender to run properly, add a bit more coconut milk.
Healthy Chocolate Milkshake Recipe FAQ
What Kind of Milk Is Used for Milkshakes?
I like to use full-fat coconut milk for the most decadent texture. You can also use almond milk, oat milk, or any milk of your choice.
How Do You Make a Milkshake without Ice Cream?
This healthy chocolate milkshake is nice and thick thanks to the frozen bananas, peanut butter, and full-fat coconut milk. This combination of ingredients comes out of the blender with a rich texture.
How Do You Thicken a Healthy Chocolate Milkshake?
If you want to make your shake even thicker, you can add extra banana or peanut butter. You could also add a little less coconut milk.
What Substitutions Can Be Made in this Healthy Shake?
Almond butter or another nut butter can be used in place of the peanut butter. You can adjust the amount of cocoa powder and sweetener to get the chocolate flavor and sweetness just how you like it. Add a bit of vanilla extract or cinnamon if desired.
How Do You Freeze Bananas for Milkshakes and Smoothies?
To get the right consistency, it’s important that you freeze the bananas ahead of time. Slice a ripe banana and place it in an airtight container in the freezer until it’s frozen.
How Do You Store and Freeze this Healthy Chocolate Milkshake?
You can store the milkshake in the refrigerator, but the texture will be best if you drink it right after blending. To freeze, you can place the milkshake in an ice cube tray or airtight container. Defrost slightly and re-blend it to enjoy a healthy chocolate shake at a later date.
Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Oat milk smoothie
- Pomegranate smoothie
- Watermelon slushie
- Strawberry shake
- Apple smoothie
- Mango berry smoothie
- Purple detox smoothie
- Peach mango smoothie
Other Chocolate Desserts
- Chocolate banana ice cream
- Chocolate oat pudding
- Double chocolate bundt cake
- Chocolate potato donuts
- Chocolate banana chia pudding
- Vegan chocolate mousse
- Almond milk chocolate pudding
- Chocolate oat milk
Healthy Chocolate Milkshake
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana sliced and frozen
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 15 ice cubes
- Place the ingredients in the blender in the order listed. (Note: Liquids should normally go first in a blender, but I add the maple syrup later so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.)
- Process the mixture until smooth. If it’s too thick for your blender to run properly, add just a little bit more coconut milk.
- Divide into 2 glasses and serve.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Healthy Chocolate Shake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.47 to make, or $.74 per serving. Try this delicious, healthy chocolate milkshake for a healthy dessert on a hot day.
Note: This recipe was first published in 2018, and it was updated in 2024.