Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These gluten-free ice cream sandwiches are a delicious summer treat. Try this refreshing summer dessert recipe for a snack on a hot day.
Ice cream sandwiches are such a classic summer treat. I have a recipe on the blog for ice cream sandwiches that included gluten and dairy, and this is my version of gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches.
You can use any dairy-free ice cream or sorbet, but I do love the combination of cherries and chocolate. I personally think the gluten-free sandwich bases taste better than the wheat version, but they’re both delicious. Enjoy this healthy, refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
Ice Cream Sandwiches (GF, DF)
Ingredients for the Sandwich Base
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
Ingredients for the Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups cherries chopped finely
- 1 3/4 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 ripe banana mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 8×8 inch pans.
- Combine the wet ingredients for the sandwich base in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine well.
- Transfer the sandwich base mixture to the greased pans. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the sandwich base is set and the edges are pulling away from the sides a bit. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the sandwich bases are cooling, combine the ice cream ingredients in a blender or food processor. Once they're well-combined, taste the mixture to see if it's sweet enough. This will depend on the sweetness of your cherries and banana. Add a bit more maple syrup if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and mix according to the manufacturer’s directions. I use the ice cream attachment that goes with my Kitchen Aid mixer.
- After the ice cream is churned, it should have the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Place one of the sandwich bases (top side down) on a piece of plastic wrap and spread the ice cream evenly on it. You'll have to move quickly so it doesn't get too runny.
- Put the other sandwich base on top of the ice cream (top side up) and wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours to let it solidify. Remove from the freezer and cut it in half. Then, cut each section into 6 sandwiches for a total of 12 sandwiches. Enjoy immediately or wrap the sandwiches individually and return them to the freezer.
Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches Price Breakdown
The total cost of this recipe is $8.49, with the ice cream costing $4.57 and the sandwich base costing $3.92. I don’t know of any real food, gluten-free, dairy-free ice cream sandwiches for sale at a store, so I can’t make a comparison. At $.70 a sandwich, this is a great summer treat for anyone with gluten and dairy allergies.
You just made my summer!! Saving and sharing everywhere! oxox
Thanks, Gwen! I hope you love them.
These are gorgeous bars, love chocolate and cherries. Everyone would love this fantastic recipe, but just had lunch with my friend Marilyn who is gluten free. She’ll especially love this great recipe!
Thanks, Allie! Nobody will be able to tell that these are gluten-free, so they definitely work for a mixed crowd!
Oooh – I am lactose intolerant and love the sound of that ice cream! Coconut milk and cherries and bananas – boyoboy – this is even more of a treat paired with that GF sandwich base!
It’s a great combination, Shashi! Definitely a treat for those of us with dairy issues.