This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Instant Pot Beef Stew is a delicious, healthy dinner recipe. It’s so easy to make this comfort food favorite in the Instant Pot. (gluten-free, dairy-free)
When I bought my Instant Pot, one of the first things I thought to make in it was stew. I was eager to convert my classic beef stew recipe for the Instant Pot. I loved the idea of having a cozy bowl of stew in less time than the typical version takes.
After doing some research in the Instant Pot Facebook community, I learned that there are two schools of thought regarding stew using this machine. Some people use the meat/stew button and let everything cook for the recommended 35 minutes. Others like to cook the beef for 15 minutes on its own, then open the pot and add the vegetables for the remaining cook time.
I like to take the simplest route when cooking, so I tried the former approach. I browned the meat and then added all the ingredients. After the 35 minute meat/stew cycle, my beef stew came out beautifully. The vegetables were tender but not mushy, and the meat was fall-apart delicious. I may try the other approach next time to see the difference in vegetable texture.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Tip
There’s one detail that’s important to note. When cooking beef in the Instant Pot, it’s best to use a natural release. If you try a quick release, some moisture will be pulled out of the meat and it’ll be tough. For that reason, let the Instant Pot naturally release its pressure, and don’t open the lid until the silver pressure indicator has dropped on its own. This takes about 30 minutes after the cook time ends in this recipe.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 lbs stew beef cut into bite-sized pieces and sprinkled with salt
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs potatoes peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 celery stalks cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Add the oil and brown the meat in 2 batches. Cook each batch for 2 or 3 minutes, turning the pieces of beef several times so all sides are browned. Set the browned meat aside.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add the onion to the warm pot. Let it cook for a minute, stirring a few times. Then add all the remaining ingredients to the pot, including the browned meat.
- Close the lid, set the seal, and set the pot to high pressure for 35 minutes.
- After the 35 minute cook time, use a natural pressure release. Wait until the silver pressure indicator drops on its own (about 30 minutes). This will allow the beef to maintain as much moisture as possible. (Note: If you’re in a hurry, you can let the pressure release naturally for just 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure by turning the vent.)
- Serve warm.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe costs a total of $12.88 to make (assuming $3.99 per pound of meat), or $1.61 per serving. Try this delicious Instant Pot Beef Stew for an easy, healthy dinner recipe that everyone will love.
Pin for later: