This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These lemon ricotta muffins are a healthy snack with a light texture and bright flavor. Such a delicious recipe!
The first Recipe Redux of the new year challenges members to pick a new ingredient that they’ve been meaning to try and use it to create a new recipe.
I’ve been curious about coconut sugar for ages, so I decided to buy a package. Made from the sap of the coconut palm, coconut sugar is similar in flavor and appearance to brown sugar.
Coconut sugar is one of the healthier sweeteners out there. It’s minimally processed and it contains trace amounts of several nutrients. It also has a lower glycemic impact than traditional sugar, so it doesn’t cause the same spike and dip in blood sugar levels as other sweeteners.
At $1.50 per cup, coconut sugar is significantly less expensive than other natural sweeteners, including maple syrup ($2.56 per cup) and honey ($2.40 per cup). This is another reason I wanted to give it a try.
These lemon ricotta muffins are absolutely delicious with this natural sweetener. The citrus flavor is bright and mildly sweet, and the ricotta gives these muffins their tender texture. My children love lemon anything, so these muffins didn’t last long in my house. They’re great for lunchboxes and after-school snacks.
Lemon Ricotta Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, coconut sugar, ricotta, milk, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffin pan. Bake the muffins for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Don’t bake them too long or they’ll be dry.
Approximate Nutrition Info
Lemon Ricotta Muffins Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $4.89, or $.41 per muffin. These lemon ricotta muffins are a delicious snack or breakfast on the go.