This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These peanut butter chocolate chip scones are such a hearty, delicious snack! This lightly sweetened gluten free recipe is perfect for an afternoon treat.
Peanut butter and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations. I love savory and sweet together, especially when chocolate is involved.
These peanut butter chocolate chip scones are a delicious treat for snack time or breakfast. They aren’t overly sweet, and the peanut butter gives them a bit of extra protein beyond your typical scone.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones Tips
Scones are generally quite dry, but the texture of this version is fairly tender as long as you don’t leave them in the oven too long. Once the bottoms start to turn brown, you can remove these scones from the oven and cool them on a cooling rack.
The chocolate and peanut butter drizzles aren’t necessary if you’re in a hurry, but they do add to the presentation. They’re quick to make on the stove top, and you can drizzle them onto the cooled scones. If the chocolate drizzle is too thin, refrigerate it for a couple minutes and it will thicken quickly.
I like these scones best with gluten-free flour, but they’re good with white whole wheat flour too. The whole wheat version is a bit drier than the gluten-free one, so make sure the dough is nice and sticky if you’re using whole wheat flour. You may need to add an extra tablespoon of coconut milk.
I recommend using natural peanut butter that contains only peanuts in the ingredient list, or peanuts and salt.
These peanut butter scones are a large, hearty snack. You can cut them into smaller pieces if you’d prefer, and cut down the baking time by a few minutes.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Drizzle
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs pure maple syrup
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, stir together the egg, coconut oil, maple syrup, peanut butter, and coconut milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Knead in the chocolate chips or stir with a wooden spoon.
- Shape the dough into an 8 inch wide round disk that's about an inch tall. Cut the disk into 8 triangles.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they're set and the bottoms are beginning to turn brown. Remove the scones from the oven when they're done baking, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- While the scones are cooling, make the chocolate and peanut butter drizzles. For the chocolate drizzle, melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips over medium low heat in a small pot. Stir until smooth, then remove from the stove. In a separate small pot, heat the peanut butter, maple syrup, and water for 2 minutes over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from the stove.
- Drizzle the cooled scones with the peanut butter and chocolate sauces. Enjoy within two days, or freeze for later.
Approximate Nutrition Info
Peanut Butter Scones Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.89, or $.99 per scone. Try these peanut butter chocolate chip scones for a healthy, higher-protein snack or breakfast.
Note: This post was originally published in 2014, and it was updated in 2019.