This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This easy plum cake recipe is such a delicious way to celebrate summer fruit! Try this gluten-free snack or dessert for a summertime treat.
This month’s Recipe Redux has members celebrating favorite vacation memories. We’re invited to recreate a meal we loved during vacation, or to create a recipe from a native ingredient we tasted during our travels.
Our big trip this summer was to the Bay Area in California, and I’m still thinking about all the delicious food we enjoyed. I posted the highlights from Berkeley and the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, and I’ll be posting the San Francisco food highlights in the next couple weeks.
Stone fruit was at its peak during our trip, and we sampled many different varieties at farmers markets in Berkeley and San Francisco. This recipe is inspired by the delicious plums that seemed to be everywhere we went.
I love fruity snack cakes like this one. This plum cake is easy to make, and ripe plums play the starring role. It’s adapted from this plum torte recipe, a classic that was printed years ago in the New York Times.
This cake is made a little healthier with coconut sugar and coconut oil. I also use gluten-free flour in this recipe, but you can substitute whole wheat flour (or half white, half wheat flour) if you’re not avoiding gluten. Maple syrup would also work instead of coconut sugar in the cake batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch springform pan. (It’s okay if your pan is a little bigger or smaller. You may need to adjust the baking time slightly.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and coconut milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Transfer the batter to the springform pan in an even layer. Cut each plum half into about 4 sections, and arrange the plum pieces on top of the batter. Sprinkle the plums with additional coconut sugar if desired. Line the bottom and sides of the pan’s exterior with aluminum foil so the batter doesn’t leak in the oven.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Plum Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $6.70 to make, or $.84 per serving. Enjoy this easy plum cake for a delicious summer snack or dessert!