This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These root vegetable pancakes are a great side dish recipe that disguises turnips, radishes, and kohlrabi. This is a delicious vegetarian recipe.
These root vegetable pancakes are the perfect hiding place for turnips and radishes. Nobody notices all the healthy ingredients in these delicious cakes.
When your produce drawer is full of random root vegetables that need a home, that’s when it’s time for potato pancakes. I use about half potato and half “other vegetables,” whatever I have on hand. In this case, I used turnips, radishes, and kohlrabi (which isn’t actually a root vegetable but I treat it like one).
These root vegetable cakes are very flavorful, and they make a delicious side dish for many types of main dishes. This recipe is the only one I’ve made where I actually enjoy turnips. Somehow, the other veggies all make me forget I’m eating them.
Root Vegetable Pancakes Tips
To make these pancakes, simply shape the batter into patties and cook them in a well-seasoned skillet. Cook on each side until well-browned.
It takes about 8 minutes to cook a batch of these pancakes. You can use 2 skillets at once if you want to cut down on the cook time.
You can refrigerate the leftovers for several days, or freeze for later.
Root Vegetable Pancakes
- 4 cups grated peeled potatoes
- 4 cups grated root vegetables (e.g. turnips, radishes, kohlrabi, parsnips, sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs avocado oil or olive oil
- Place the grated and diced vegetables in a large bowl.
- Place a dry, non-fuzzy dish towel on the counter. Dump the vegetables onto the dish towel. Wrap it up and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Repeat with another dish towel.
- In the large bowl, mix together the eggs, flour, and salt. Add the dry vegetables to the bowl and stir to coat.
- Heat a large, well-seasoned skillet over medium heat. Add the avocado oil. Shape 1/4 cup of batter into a patty and place it on the hot skillet. I use my hands to shape the patties. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until evenly browned. Serve warm.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe yields 24 pancakes and it costs a total of $4.96, or $.21 per pancake. This is a great complement to so many different meals, so I love having some extra root vegetable pancakes to put in the freezer for another day.