Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This sheet pan sausage and veggies meal is such a delicious, easy dinner recipe. With just 4 main ingredients, this dish comes together quickly for a busy weeknight dinner.
Sheet pan dinners are such a great shortcut on a busy night. Instead of fussing with different pans on the stovetop, everything gets cooked in one place in the oven. This makes doing dishes a lot easier, and the flavors come together so well when all the ingredients are roasted together.
We get Italian sausage every month in our local meat share, and there are lots of ways to use it. Sometimes we have it as a main dish or add it to a stew. This sheet pan sausage and veggies is another easy way to enjoy fresh local sausage.
Potatoes, onions, and kale are staples that we like to keep on hand, especially in the winter. They stay fresh for a while, so I can easily add them to a meal when I need one more thing on the plate.
Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies Tips
The ingredients in this recipe have different cook times, so they get added to the pan at separate times. First add the onions and potatoes to the pan, and roast them for about 25 minutes. Then add the Italian sausage, and return the pan to the oven for 10 minutes. Finally, once all these ingredients are cooked through, you can add the kale to the pan for the final 5 minutes so it has just enough time to wilt.
Cut the potatoes into cubes about 3/4 inch thick so they don’t take too long to cook. If you cut them larger, increase the cook time before adding the sausage to the pan.
You may want to adjust the amount of salt according to how salty your sausage is. Taste the potatoes once everything is done cooking, then add a bit more salt if you think it’s needed.
For a bit of zing, you can add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the finished dish before serving. Either way, this sheet pan sausage and veggies is a crowd-pleasing meal that’s so simple to make.
Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
- 2 tbs olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 onion sliced (1/2 lb)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb Italian sausage sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups chopped kale or other greens (2 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the potatoes and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with the salt and pepper. Stir the mixture.
- Place the potatoes and onions on a large sheet pan (at least 12 inches by 16 inches). Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 25 minutes, add the sliced sausage to the pan. Return the pan to the oven, and roast for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are tender and the sausage is cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees, drizzle the kale with the remaining tablespoon of oil, and then add the kale to the pan. Gently stir the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the kale is wilted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with additional salt if desired. Serve warm.
This recipe costs a total of $7.10 to make, or $1.78 per serving. Try this easy one pan sausage and veggies for a delicious weeknight dinner.
Pin it here:
Note: This recipe was first published in 2012, and it was updated in 2021.
I love the look of this – particularly as it includes sausages and seasonal veggies. I too let the farmer decide on my weekly ingredients by getting a weekly veggie box – I love to eat seasonally and it’s so interesting trying out new veggies I probably wouldn’t think of choosing myself…
Thanks! I’m glad to hear that you enjoy your weekly veggie box. It’s a great way to eat.
Your link is up! Thanks for bringing to the party!! 😀