This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This sweet and spicy popcorn recipe is an addictively delicious whole grain snack. This healthy recipe couldn’t be easier to make, and you can adapt the seasonings to suit your tastes.
We’re back into popcorn in my house. It went out of fashion for the past two years while my son was in braces, but that’s behind us now. My air popper is getting a workout again.
I love how easy it is to whip up a batch of flavored popcorn. My family is never without a snack as long as I have some popcorn kernels in the cabinet. Maple gingerbread, chocolate, and vanilla almond are a few of the delicious combinations we enjoy. There are so many delicious versions of dairy-free coconut oil popcorn.
This sweet and spicy popcorn recipe is my new favorite addictive snack. The spiciness of the hot chili powder is a great contrast to the pure maple syrup flavor. After a quick bake in the oven, this popcorn has a crispy texture under all those yummy toppings.
Add a dash of hot sauce if your chili powder isn’t especially spicy, and increase the maple syrup if you want it extra sweet. I recommend some experimentation to come up with your perfect sweet and spicy flavor combination.
Sweet and Spicy Popcorn Recipe
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs pure maple syrup or more to taste
- 1½ tsp spicy chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and melt the coconut oil.
- Pop the popcorn kernels. I use an air popper, but you can use whatever method works for you.
- Stir together the coconut oil and maple syrup, then pour it over the popcorn and stir to coat. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cumin, salt, and turmeric. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the popcorn and mix it until the popcorn is evenly coated by the seasoning. (I use my hands to mix it all up.)
- Place the popcorn in a roasting pan. Bake for about 5 minutes, stirring a couple times while it’s baking.
- Remove the pan and cool the popcorn on a wire rack. Store it in an airtight container.
Approximate Nutrition Info
Sweet and Spicy Popcorn Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.30 to make, or $.22 per hearty 2-cup serving. Try this healthy, whole grain snack recipe the next time you’re looking for something quick to eat.