This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This easy berry sauce is my favorite topping for pancakes. I love the fruity flavor even more than plain maple syrup. Topping your weekend breakfast with berry sauce is a great way to add fruit to the meal and cut back on the amount of added sugar. It makes a beautiful presentation as well.
This berry sauce is also a delicious addition to plain yogurt. You can even use it as a topping for fish or as a fruity salad dressing. Just mix it with a little olive oil and salt to dress a salad. If you have more berries than you can handle after a berry-picking excursion, this is the perfect recipe to make. It freezes well, and you can warm it up on the stove when you’re ready to use it.
Easy Homemade Berry Sauce
- 1 lb mixed berries (e.g. raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- 2 tbs water
- 1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup or to taste
- Stir together the ingredients in a medium skillet. Start out using 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Simmer the ingredients, covered, over medium-low heat. The mixture will become quite watery as the berries break down. Remove the cover at this point and continue simmering until you have the consistency you want.
- Taste the mixture. Unless you’re using very sweet berries, it will probably be tart. Add up to another 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Continue simmering until you have a slightly thickened sauce with a flavor you like.
- Optional: If you want a thick berry sauce, add a teaspoon or two of arrowroot (or other) starch. Mix in the starch with a whisk, and continue to whisk over medium-low heat until thickened to your liking.
Berry Sauce Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.89 to make, or $.32 per serving. Try this easy homemade berry sauce the next time you’re having pancakes.
For more ideas about how to cut back on sugar, check out my roundup of 30 savory snack recipes without added sugar as well as the Fed Up website. How do you control the amount of sugar in your diet? I’d love to hear your tips, so please share them in the comments.