This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This pizza soup recipe is a fun twist on pizza night. Kids love the flavor, and you can customize this easy meal to suit your family’s tastes.
This soup is a fun new twist on pizza night. My kids would be happy eating pizza for dinner just about every night of the week, but I like to mix things up. Pizza soup is close enough in flavor to the real thing, but I feel like it’s a slightly healthier way to fill up at dinnertime.
Pizza Soup Recipe Tips
This soup can be customized with any of your favorite pizza toppings. I include mushrooms and mozzarella here, but you could also add green pepper, olives, eggplant, pepperoni, or anything else you like on your pizza.
You could also substitute diced tomatoes for some or all of the tomato sauce. My children have a curious aversion to tomato chunks, so I make this soup with smooth tomato sauce.
These homemade breadsticks are a delicious accompaniment for dipping in the kid-friendly soup recipe. They’re like pizza crust, only better. If you’re short on time, you could serve this meal with croutons or toast instead.
Pizza Soup Recipe
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and saute for another minute over medium low. Add the mushrooms and cook, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, honey, basil, oregano, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the soup over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Divide the warm soup into soup bowls and garnish with the grated cheese. Serve warm.
This recipe costs a total of $7.69, or $.96 per serving. Try this kid-friendly pizza soup recipe for a fun twist on pizza night!