This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This fruity slow cooker cranberry sauce is so good! Pull out your Crockpot and try it for an easy Thanksgiving side dish recipe.
It’s cranberry season here in Massachusetts, and homemade cranberry sauce is a popular dish on our holiday dinner table.
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge invites members to create new slow cooker recipes. If you’re hosting a crowd for Thanksgiving, you’ll appreciate keeping the stove top free by making this slow cooker cranberry sauce.
The flavors of cranberry and orange go so well together, and the apple helps to thicken the sauce because it naturally contains pectin. I use maple syrup to sweeten this sauce. Honey would work well, too.
Some people in my extended family prefer canned cranberry sauce, but several of us love this chunky homemade version. The leftovers are the best part!
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 medium apple (1/2 lb)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Rinse the cranberries and place them in the slow cooker.
- Squeeze the juice out of one orange and add the juice to the slow cooker. (This is about 1/4 cup of juice.)
- Remove the peel from the second orange and chop the fruit into bite-sized pieces. Add the orange pieces to the slow cooker.
- Peel the apple and remove the core. Chop the apple into bite-sized pieces and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the maple syrup to the fruit and stir.
- Turn on the slow cooker to “Low” and cook until the fruit is very tender. For me, this takes about 2 hours, but your slow cooker might take more or less time. Keep an eye on it.
- Mash the fruit so there are no large chunks remaining. I use a potato masher, but you could also use a large spoon or fork (just don’t scratch the slow cooker).
- Turn the heat to high, and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Serve the slow cooker cranberry sauce warm, or let the sauce cool and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.26 to make and it yields 2½ cups, for a cost of $.73 per ¼ cup serving. Homemade slow cooker cranberry sauce is a classic side dish for Thanksgiving, and this version is so easy to prepare.
Do you prefer cranberry sauce out of a can, or do you like the homemade stuff better?