This healthy cranberry sauce recipe features chia seeds for added nutrients. It’s a delicious, four-ingredient Thanksgiving side dish. (gluten-free, vegan)
Cranberry sauce is an essential side dish for Thanksgiving. But in my house, we enjoy it during other times of the year, too. My daughter has been known to have a little bowl of cranberry sauce as part of her after school snack, and I like having it on hand to use as a sandwich topping.
I love my Instant Pot cranberry sauce recipe, but I wanted to make a new version that was even healthier than the original. Chia seeds are high in nutrients, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. With all the decadence that typically comes at Thanksgiving, chia seeds are a great ingredient to add to the feast.
Healthy Cranberry Sauce Tips
- Cooling: With the addition of chia seeds, this cranberry sauce thickens very quickly and easily. I refrigerate it for an hour to cool it, but you can also serve it warm if desired.
- Whisking: Any time I add chia seeds to a recipe like this, I whisk it several times during the first ten minutes after the seeds are added. This helps to keep the seeds from clumping together, and it speeds up the thickening process.
- Sweetening: For a less sweet version of this cranberry sauce, you can cut back the amount of maple syrup to as little as a half cup. It’s extra tart that way, and it’s just a matter of preference.
Watch this short video to see the simple process behind this four-ingredient chia cranberry sauce recipe:
Healthy Cranberry Sauce with Chia Seeds
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- In a medium pot, stir together cranberries, maple syrup, and orange juice. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil, then remove the cover and lower the heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until berries are soft and some are breaking apart. Stir occasionally while it simmers.
- Remove from the heat and mash the berries. Slowly whisk in the chia seeds. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes, then cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to thicken. This cranberry sauce keeps for over a week in the refrigerator.
Chia Cranberry Sauce Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.83 to make, or $.49 per serving. Try this healthy cranberry sauce with chia seeds for a delicious addition to your holiday table.