These healthy, delicious whole wheat carrot cake muffins are a delicious whole-grain snack for when you’re on the go. They’re great for breakfast, too.
There’s nothing like the smell of cinnamon coming from the oven. No matter what challenges I’m dealing with on a given day, this smell always boosts my spirits.
Everyone in my family likes raw carrots, so I don’t feel the need to sneak this vegetable into a muffin to get my children to eat it. However, this classic muffin is such a delicious treat that I like to occasionally dip into my carrot supply and make a batch.
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffin Tips
These whole wheat carrot cake muffins are made with white whole wheat flour, but you can substitute gluten-free flour with equally delicious results. Be sure to take these muffins out of the oven as soon as they’re done cooking so they don’t get dry. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, or freeze for later.
Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots about 3 medium carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the wet ingredients (everything except the carrots) until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Transfer the batter to the muffin pan. Bake for 18 to20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins Price Breakdown
This batch of muffins costs $3.97 to make, or $.33 per muffin. These delicious, fragrant carrot cake muffins are the perfect grab-and-go snack for a busy day.