This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This gluten free carrot cake recipe is a delicious treat full of carrots and walnuts. Serve this healthy recipe for a fun dessert at Easter or any time of year.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is root vegetable recipes. Carrots are the one root vegetable that we always have on hand in my house. Whether raw or baked into a yummy treat, my family loves this humble veggie.
Carrot cake is one of my favorites, so I put together this gluten free carrot cake recipe. It’s so easy to make, and the flavor is amazing. This cake is healthy enough to eat at breakfast or snack time. The cream cheese frosting elevates it to a delicious dessert that you could serve for a special occasion like Easter or a birthday. You can double the recipe to make 2 layer cakes if you’re serving a crowd.
For a dairy-free version of this cake, replace the melted butter with coconut oil and skip the frosting. Either way, it’s a delicious treat that celebrates carrots in all their glory.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake
For the Cake
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup diced walnuts
For the Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 tbs butter softened
- 3 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir well, then add the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in the carrots and walnuts.
- Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before removing the cake from the baking pan.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting. Be sure the cream cheese and butter are well softened. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the cream cheese and butter until combined. Slowly add the maple syrup and vanilla extract while beating the mixture. Continue to mix until light and fluffy. You’ll need to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake, and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.26, or $.81 per serving. Try this delicious gluten free carrot cake for a decadent, healthy dessert!
And try my carrot cake muffins for another simple, healthy carrot dessert.