This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This gluten free pineapple upside down cake is such a delicious dessert recipe! The bright flavor is like a burst of sunshine.
I’m never quite ready for the weather to turn cold, but I keep myself in denial of winter’s imminent arrival with recipes like this one. I’m happy to be partnering with Dole Packaged Foods to highlight one of my favorite fruits, the pineapple.
Pineapples are so cheerful. They make me think of a bright summer day. Their pretty color and flavor shine through in this delicious gluten free pineapple upside down cake.
I like to use canned Dole pineapple that’s packed in 100% pineapple juice. Both the slices and the juice make an appearance in this recipe. I keep these pineapple slices on hand in my pantry so I can make this cake whenever the craving strikes.
Texture can be tricky in gluten free cakes, and the pineapple juice adds just the right touch to this cake. I use pure maple syrup as the sweetener both in the cake and on top. By drizzling the baking pan with extra maple syrup after placing the pineapple slices on the bottom, you get the perfect syrupy sweet topping when the cake is flipped after baking.
This is such a delicious cake to enjoy during the holidays. Watch this short video to see the easy process behind this pineapple upside down cake:
Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice from can
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup divided
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 20 oz can Dole pineapple slices in 100% pineapple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the eggs, the juice from the pineapple can (about 2/3 cup), 1 1/4 cups maple syrup, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 cup melted coconut oil in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan. Arrange 8 pineapple slices in the pan, then drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup of maple syrup. Spread the batter on top. (Note: You can add a few more half slices of pineapple if desired.)
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake on the center oven rack for about 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan to a wire rack, and loosen the edges with a spatula. After letting the cake cool for a few minutes in the pan, turn the cake onto a serving platter. Carefully remove the pan, and let the cake cool on the platter before cutting.
Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $11.02 to make, or $.92 per serving. Try this easy gluten free pineapple upside down cake for a delicious dessert.
Note: This post is sponsored by Dole Packaged Foods. All opinions are my own.