These butternut squash fritters are a great way to use winter squash. This healthy side dish recipe has the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors.
We get so much butternut squash in our farm share during the fall.
By “so much,” I mean I’ve gotten as many as 7 squashes at one farm share pick up. A few years ago, I went to my children’s elementary school to pick them up, and I handed out squashes to some of the other parents. I felt like I was going to be dubbed the crazy squash lady, but it was better than trying to find a place to fit them all in my kitchen.
My family doesn’t love squash, so I’m always looking for unique ways to prepare it. Winter squash usually takes a while to cook, but this recipe is an exception. These fritters take just a few minutes to cook. Their flavor is a great combination of sweet and savory.
Butternut Squash Fritters Tips
The squash doesn’t need to be pre-cooked. Simply grate it with a hand grater or food processor, then stir it together with the other ingredients.
You can save a little time by buying peeled squash, but it’s less expensive to buy a whole squash and peel it yourself. Just make sure to use a sharp knife to cut through it.
Diced pecans add a nice flavor and texture to these fritters. You can add a little chili powder or hot sauce if desired, and adjust the salt to your tastes.
Check out this short video to see the easy process behind these butternut squash fritters:
Butternut Squash Fritters Recipe
- 3/4 lb grated butternut squash
- 1/2 cup diced pecans
- 2 tbs diced onion
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbs avocado oil for frying
- Grate the squash and place it in a large bowl. Stir in the diced pecans and onion.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, flour, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the squash mixture, and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a 3 tablespoon scoop (such as an ice cream scoop), place the fritters into the hot pan and press gently to form a patty. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining batter. (Yields 12 fritters)
Squash Fritters Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $4.37 to make, or $1.09 per serving (3 fritters). Enjoy these easy, healthy butternut squash fritters during the holidays or any time of year.