This healthy Crockpot chili is such an easy vegan dinner recipe for a busy night. It’s a cozy combination of beans and vegetables in a flavorful sauce.
Easy slow cooker recipes are essential in my house. Some days, I just don’t have the time or energy to do anything more than dump ingredients in the Crockpot and set it to Low.
That’s where this healthy Crockpot chili comes in. The ingredient list is longer than some of my other chili recipes, but the flavor is amazing. Aside from chopping a few vegetables, the only work required here is opening cans and measuring seasonings.
Healthy Crockpot Chili Tips
This recipe can easily be customized to suit different tastes.
- Spiciness: You can vary the amount of jalapenos to make this chili more or less spicy. You could also substitute sriracha or your favorite hot sauce for the jalapenos.
- Beans and Other Protein: You can use homemade beans in place of the canned beans, and add cooked meat if desired.
- Vegetables: I like to dump everything into the slow cooker without pre-cooking the vegetables, but this only works well if you’re cooking the chili for at least 8 hours on Low. If you’re pressed for time and you want to cook this on High, I recommend sauteing the vegetables first with a little oil in a skillet until they begin to soften.
- Prep Time: You can speed up the prep time by chopping the vegetables in a food processor.
Watch this short video to see the easy process behind this healthy vegan chili recipe:
Healthy Crockpot Chili
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 30 oz cooked black beans rinsed and drained (3 1/2 cups)
- 30 oz cooked pinto beans rinsed and drained (3 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely diced
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- In a slow cooker, stir together the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, pinto beans, onion, celery, green pepper, and jalapeno pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Add this mixture to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours. (Low temperature is ideal for the flavors to deepen). If you’re cooking on high, you may want to saute the onion, celery, and pepper in olive oil briefly before adding them to the slow cooker. This is optional, but will help enhance the flavors.
- Taste the chili and add additional spices as desired. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
Healthy Crockpot Chili Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $8.23 to make, or $.69 per serving. Try this healthy chili recipe for a cozy dinner on a winter night.