This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This homemade vegetarian chili recipe is a healthy dinner full of vegetables. This thick vegetarian chili freezes well, too.
Chili is one of my favorite healthy meals. It’s so easy to make, the ingredients are affordable, and you can make it work with many different combinations.
I have several different chili recipes I like to make depending on what I have on hand. My butternut squash chili and healthy Crock Pot chili are delicious vegan options. For a traditional stove top homemade vegetarian chili, this is my go-to recipe.
Homemade Vegetarian Chili Tips
This is a quick chili recipe that cooks on the stove. I like to use my Dutch oven for this recipe, but any large pot will do.
Pinto beans work well in this thick vegetarian chili. You can also use any combination of pinto beans, black beans, and kidney beans.
Top it off with scallions, avocado, cheese, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Anything you like on chili will work in this easy, flexible recipe.
Homemade Vegetarian Chili
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked beans (I like pinto beans, black beans, and kidney beans)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 chopped bell pepper (or a 4 oz can diced green chilis)
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium and add the onion. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes (until soft).
- Add the celery and sauté for a few more minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, corn, and pepper. Stir and cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Bring the chili to a simmer and heat it over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice or cornbread. Top it off with any of the following: scallions, grated cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, cilantro, lime juice, guacamole. Feel free to omit any of the ingredients or get creative and add in some others.
Thick Vegetarian Chili Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.59 to make, or $.93 per serving. Try this easy homemade vegetarian chili recipe for a quick, healthy dinner on a busy night.