This no-knead apple pie bread is a delicious, healthy snack recipe that has the warm flavor of pie. It’s a great addition to the Thanksgiving table.
I discovered Mark Bittman’s no-knead bread recipe a few years ago, and I was amazed at how easy it was to make this artisan-quality bread. It’s one of my 9-year-old daughter’s favorite recipes to make all by herself.
Not long after trying out Bittman’s recipe, I discovered Great Harvest Bread Company at a local farmers’ market. They were giving away samples of their apple bread, which is incredibly delicious. I love that it’s not a sweet, dessert-type bread, but plain whole-wheat bread with apple pie goodness in the middle. After figuring out how to re-create it at home, this bread has become a favorite in my house.
Apple Pie Bread Tips
I adapted Bittman’s bread recipe to make it whole grain. The dough is very easy to put together, and it rises overnight at room temperature.
I fill this bread with an easy apple pie filling. Stir the ingredients together after the dough has risen, then place the apple mixture between the layers of dough.
This is a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving dinner spread, but it also makes a great healthy snack any day of the week.
For another unique taste of the season, try my homemade apple pie Larabars. They have all the flavor of apple pie in a healthier package.
No-Knead Apple Pie Bread
For the Bread
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 2/3 cups water
For the Filling
- 3 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbl. maple syrup
- In a large bowl, stir together the ingredients for the bread. The dough will be wet and sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for 12-18 hours at room temperature. The surface will have a few bubbles on it when the dough is done rising. A rise time anywhere between 12 and 18 hours will work fine as long as it's at a comfortable room temperature of 68 to 72 degrees.
- After the dough rises, flour a work surface and quickly form two evenly-sized balls of dough.
- Place the dough on a floured dish towel that isn't fuzzy and cover with a second similar dish towel. Let the dough rise for about 2 hours, until nearly double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place a large covered baking dish (e.g. ceramic, Le Creuset) in the oven while it preheats.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the filling ingredients.
- After the two-hour rise mentioned in step 3, carefully place one ball of dough in the hot baking dish. Put the apple filling on top of the ball, leaving a 1/2-inch circumference of dough without any apple filling. Then stretch out the second ball of dough a bit and place it on top of the first, lightly pinching around the edges to seal in the apple filling.
- Bake the bread in the covered pan for 25-30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes. The bread is done when it is nicely browned and it sounds hollow when you tap it.
- Cool completely before cutting.
No-Knead Apple Pie Bread Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $2.21 to make, or $.18 per serving. This unique, healthy, whole grain apple pie bread can pass for a treat, and your family will love it.