This vegan butternut squash chili is one of the best cozy dinner recipes for fall and winter. Get some extra veggies into your menu with this healthy vegan chili.
Are you looking for a different way to prepare butternut squash? I have three of them sitting in my produce bowl, so I like to have a variety of ways to use them.
I’m not crazy about plain squash, but I love how it tastes in this chili. The sweetness of the squash is a great contrast to the savory seasonings. This flavor combination is delicious, and it makes a nice big batch to last a few nights.
Before I joined a CSA, I never bought squash at the store. I was so happy to discover that it tastes great in chili. This chili is yet another reason that I’m so thankful for my farm share. It’s gotten me to try so many foods that I thought I didn’t like.
Vegan Butternut Squash Chili Process
Here’s a quick video to show you just how easy it is to make this vegan butternut squash chili.
And try this healthy Crockpot chili for another easy vegan dinner recipe.
Vegan Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 lb butternut squash (or other winter squash)
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Chop the squash and celery into bite-sized pieces and add them to the pot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft. If you don’t want your beans to be mushy, add them during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve warm with brown rice or cornbread.
Vegan Butternut Squash Chili Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $4.67 to make, and it yields 8 servings. The cost per serving is $.58. This squash chili is a delicious, comforting meal any time of year.
Try my Instant Pot squash soup for another delicious way to enjoy this fall veggie.
Are there any vegetables you never thought you could like, but you learned to love them? Please share in the comments.