This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Chicken Chili recipe makes the best comfort food dinner! It’s healthy and frugal (just $1.40 per serving). Perfect for a winter night!
Chili is one of my favorite meals. It’s just so cozy and flavorful.
I love to eat chili for lunch or dinner, and I always put aside some leftovers in the freezer. When I look to the freezer to save me on a night when I just can’t cook, I breathe a sigh of relief when I see that chili.
I have several different versions I like to make, including vegetarian squash chili and chili con carne. This chicken chili is a mild version to accommodate my children’s palates. If you prefer a stronger chili flavor, you can double the chili powder and cumin, and add diced hot peppers or cayenne pepper. This is a simple recipe to put together when you have leftover shredded chicken available.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves small garlic
- 4 cups navy beans or other beans
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 lbs tomatoes skin and seeds removed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt (or more, depending on broth)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- Sour cream, grated cheese, and/or crushed tortilla chips for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, saute the onion in the olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Add the carrots and continue cooking until the carrots are soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the beans, chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings to the pot. Bring just to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste the chili and adjust the seasonings to your taste. No two pots of chili should ever be exactly the same.
- Serve warm over rice, and garnish if desired. Refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Chicken Chili Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $9.57 and it yields 10 cups. This comes out to about $1.40 per serving (1 1/2 cups each). Chicken chili is a warm, comforting dinner recipe, and the leftovers are perfect for a quick lunch.