Chili is one of my favorite meals, so I make lots of different versions. I love my chili full of veggies, and this squash chili recipe is one that I make frequently. My children don’t care for squash though, and I haven’t been able to master a vegetarian chili recipe that they enjoy.
It’s frustrating that they won’t dig into my chili of choice, but I recently discovered that they love this basic chili con carne. It’s simple and flavorful, and it’s a great recipe for feeding a crowd. When we have company, sometimes I offer this chili along with the squash chili. People can pick either one, or else mix the two together.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 1/2 lb ground turkey or beef
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups cooked beans
- 1 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the meat to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until all the meat is brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm. Some topping ideas include scallions, crushed tortilla chips, avocado, cheese, and cilantro.
Chili Con Carne Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $10.56 to make, or $1.06 per serving. It’s a delicious, simple version of chili con carne, and it’s appealing to all ages.