This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This vanilla rice pudding is an easy, delicious dessert made with just 5 ingredients.
Vanilla rice pudding is delicious comfort food. I love having it for a healthy snack or dessert. My Instant Pot rice pudding is a vegan version, and this recipe uses whole milk to get that rich rice pudding texture.
I make this recipe with short grain brown rice and five simple ingredients. This warm, cozy treat is a great source of calcium, and the maple and vanilla flavors shine in this version.
Vanilla extract gives this recipe a delicious flavor. If you have a whole vanilla bean, you can use that instead. Scrape out the insides of the bean and add it to the mixture while cooking.
This rice pudding recipe is a great addition to a lunch box or after-school snack spread, but you can serve it for dessert too. It could even work for a fun breakfast treat.
Vanilla Rice Pudding
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups whole milk substitute coconut milk for a vegan version
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a medium pot, boil 4 cups of water. Add the rice and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring just to a boil, and then lower to simmer for about 45 minutes (until thickened). Stir periodically while the pudding simmers.
- Enjoy warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
Vanilla Rice Pudding Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $4.26 to make, or $.36 per half cup serving. Vanilla rice pudding is a delicious, comforting dessert or snack that kids and parents alike will enjoy.
What other comfort food desserts do you enjoy? I’d love to develop cleaner version of some of the classics. Please share your suggestions in the comments.