Vanilla rice pudding is delicious comfort food. I make it with short grain brown rice and five simple ingredients. This warm, cozy treat is a great source of calcium, and the maple and vanilla flavors shine in this version.
If you don’t have a vanilla bean, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to get that vanilla flavor. This rice pudding recipe is a great addition to a lunch box or after-school snack spread, but you can serve it for dessert too. It could even work for breakfast.
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups whole milk substitute coconut milk for a vegan version
- 1 vanilla bean split in half and scraped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a medium pot, boil 4 cups of water. Add the rice and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring just to a boil, and then lower to simmer for about 45 minutes (until thickened). Stir periodically while the pudding simmers.
- Enjoy warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.
Vanilla Rice Pudding Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $4.26 to make, or $.36 per half cup serving. Vanilla rice pudding is a delicious, comforting dessert or snack that kids and parents alike will enjoy.
What other comfort food desserts do you enjoy? I’d love to develop cleaner version of some of the classics. Please share your suggestions in the comments.