This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Try this delicious arugula pesto recipe for a unique way to enjoy these healthy greens.
Arugula is one of the greens I get regularly from my farm share. It has a strong flavor, so I typically mix it with milder lettuce for a salad.
Another great use for arugula is pesto because the garlic, nuts, and salt mellow the bitterness of the arugula. Its bright color makes this an appealing appetizer.
Pesto can be frozen, so this is a great recipe for those times when we’ve had enough arugula for a while. You can serve it on crackers, mix it with pasta, or spread it on a sandwich for a burst of extra flavor.
- 3 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese optional
- 1/2 tsp salt or more salt to taste if you skip the parmesan
- In a food processor, combine the arugula, garlic, olive oil, walnuts, and parmesan cheese (if using). Process the ingredients until a smooth pesto forms. You will need to scrape down the sides a few times with a rubber spatula.
- Taste the pesto and add salt if needed. If you include parmesan, you may not need any additional salt.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for several months. I recommend freezing the pesto in an ice cube tray and then storing the cubes in an airtight container. That way, you can take out a small amount for a sandwich or snack whenever you need it.
Arugula Pesto Price Breakdown
This recipe yields 8 tablespoons of pesto and costs a total of $2.64, or $.33 per tablespoon. If you’re looking for another way to add some greens to your life, this pesto is a delicious, healthy addition to your sandwich or pasta.
How do you use arugula in your kitchen? Please share your recipes or ideas in the comments.