This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. This is the perfect recipe for leftover chicken. One of my meal planning challenges is that my son doesn’t like plain chicken; he only likes it if it’s in a dish with other things. I use a lot of vegetables to stretch the chicken in this pot pie, and the biscuit topping is the perfect complement to the filling. This one-pot meal includes everything you need to have a well-balanced dinner.
Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients for the Filling
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 medium red potatoes chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2 tbs white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Ingredients for the Biscuit Topping
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbs cold butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pan, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 8 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and add the chicken broth gradually. Add the diced chicken, salt, and pepper to the mixture.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring regularly to thicken.
- While the mixture simmers, make the biscuit batter. Mix together the dry ingredients and the butter in a food processor until it reaches a crumb-like consistency. In a large bowl, stir together the crumb mixture with the yogurt to form the biscuit dough. Set aside.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a 9 by 13 inch pan. Form 10 patties out of the biscuit dough and divide them across the top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the biscuits are cooked through.
Chicken Pot Pie Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $5.77 for 6 servings, so the cost per serving is $.96. For less than a dollar a person, you can feed your family this delicious, healthy chicken pot pie.