This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Every package of chocolate chips I’ve seen has highly processed sugar as one of its ingredients, so I like to make homemade chocolate chips once in a while. This recipe requires just 2 ingredients, and you can adjust the sweetness to suit your taste.
We’re very fond of chocolate in my house, so I love having these on hand to add to a healthy batch of muffins or cookies. If you don’t have a frosting tool to shape them, you can just melt the ingredients, let them cool a bit, and then shape the chips by hand. Alternately, you can pour the whole batch of melted chocolate into a loaf pan, refrigerate for an hour, and then break it into chocolate chunks. Children love to participate in this process because we’re basically making the simplest candy here.
Homemade Chocolate Chips
- 5 ounces single-ingredient chocolate (I use Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup maple syrup
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate over medium-low heat. Turn off the burner and stir in the maple syrup. If you want to add mint extract or vanilla extract to give the chips a different flavor, add it here. Taste the chocolate and add a little more maple syrup if desired.
- Working quickly, transfer the mixture to a frosting tool with a wide tip. I use this fun cupcake decorating tool.
- Press out little chocolate chip sized portions onto wax paper. I use my fingers to shape each chip into a triangle.
- Refrigerate the chocolate chips for at least 30 minutes so they solidify. I store them in the refrigerator until I’m ready to bake with them.
Homemade Chocolate Chips Price Breakdown
This batch yields 9 ounces of chocolate chips and the total cost is $2.71. There’s no packaged brand of chocolate chips with clean ingredients that I can compare these to, but a 10-ounce bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips retails for over $4.00. Enjoy Life is considered one of the cleanest store-bought versions of chocolate chips. You won’t believe how easy it is to make these homemade chocolate chips, and your family will love them.