This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This one pot chicken taco pasta is a delicious, healthy dinner recipe that couldn’t be easier to make! Everything cooks in one pot for a quick dinner on a busy night.
I’m always looking for new easy, healthy dinners for my family. I recently came across this Salsa Pasta Chicken Bake from Lauren Kelly Nutrition. I liked the idea of a taco-type dinner with pasta mixed in, but I was a little nervous that everything wouldn’t bake evenly in the oven since I was using gluten-free pasta. Inspired by her recipe, I made my own version in a pot on the stove top.
My family loves tacos and pasta, so this meal is a natural fit for us. I like how this dish gets creamy without any cheese or milk. Since the pasta doesn’t get drained, the starch from the pasta thickens the final product naturally.
I use gluten-free pasta, but this recipe works well with wheat pasta, too. You can get creative with toppings like cilantro, extra salsa, grated cheese, sour cream, and avocado. Anything you’d put in a taco would be delicious with this dish!
One Pot Chicken Taco Pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 12 oz pasta gluten-free or whole wheat
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- 3 scallions diced
- Cilantro, salsa, grated cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, heat half the olive oil and saute the onion for a couple minutes over medium heat. Add the peppers and continue cooking for a couple more minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender. Remove most of the the peppers and onion from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining half tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the chicken. Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly until just cooked through (about 6 to 8 minutes). Season with the taco seasoning.
- Put the peppers and onions back in the pot with the chicken. Add the broth, pasta, salsa, and beans. Add additional water to just cover the ingredients if needed (about a cup). Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer for 10 minutes (or more/less depending on how long your pasta takes to cook). Stir occasionally and test the pasta during the last few minutes.
- Serve immediately with topped with scallions, cilantro, extra salsa, and grated cheese (if desired), or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat when ready to serve.
Chicken Taco Pasta Recipe Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $11.49 to make, or $1.44 per serving. Try this one pot chicken taco pasta for a delicious comfort food meal that’s healthy, too!