This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Banana French Toast is an easy, delicious breakfast that can be on the table in 30 minutes. Stale whole grain bread gets a second life with this recipe. The banana flavor is a delicious addition to traditional French toast, and the maple syrup and vanilla extract give it just the right amount of sweetness. Serve this with just a little maple syrup or berry sauce on top so you can enjoy the savory side as well.
If you have a few extra minutes, you can saute the banana slices in a pan with a little butter before adding them to the French toast. This will bring out their flavor even more. You can also substitute berries or other fruit for the banana to make the filling.
Banana French Toast
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs butter
- 8 thick slices of whole grain bread (day-old bread works well)
- 2 ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Dip two pieces of bread (one at a time) into the egg mixture. Let them soak for several seconds so they gets saturated.
- Carefully transfer the bread to the skillet. Cook the bread over medium heat on one side for about two minutes, then flip both pieces.
- Place half a banana, thinly sliced, on top of one piece of bread. Place the other slice on top, cooked side down (touching the bananas). Let the sandwich cook for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is well browned. Flip the stack and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Remove the French toast from the pan and place it in a covered dish in the oven to keep it warm.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread. As each sandwich is cooked, place it in the covered dish in the warm oven so everyone can eat together.
- Serve warm with a little maple syrup or berry sauce.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Banana French Toast Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $4.46, or $1.12 per serving. This is based on a 1 pound loaf of whole grain bread costing $3.00. You can bring down the cost of this banana French toast recipe by making your own bread. Your family will love this recipe!
This French toast is a great “breakfast for dinner” treat too. What’s your favorite breakfast for dinner recipe?