This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
We save our bread ends in the freezer, and when we have enough saved up we make French toast casserole. The addition of apples and cinnamon in this recipe gives it an extra special flavor. It’s best to let the bread soak up the egg mixture in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, all you need to do is put this in the oven. Your house will smell amazing while it’s baking. The recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Joy of Cooking.
Baked Apple French Toast Casserole
- 12 cups whole grain bread cut into 2-inch squares
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk or non-dairy milk
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cut the bread into 2-inch square pieces. Place them in a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk, syrup, and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the bread. Use your hands to move the bread pieces around in the egg mixture so each piece gets soaked.
- Place half the apple chunks in the pan and press them down among the bread pieces. Place the remaining apples on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the casserole (covered) for about 30 minutes. Check to see if it’s set. If the casserole is still watery or the bread pieces are very wet and mushy, cook uncovered for another five minutes (or until set).
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
French Toast Casserole Price Breakdown
Using my homemade whole wheat bread recipe as the base price for the bread, this recipe costs a total of $5.98 to make. It serves 6, so the cost per serving is $.99. This French Toast Casserole is a delicious treat for breakfast.
What make-ahead breakfasts do you like to make for your family? I’d love to get some new ideas, so please give me your suggestions in the comments.