This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This dairy free breakfast casserole is a delicious, hearty dish full of eggs, potatoes, sausage, peppers, and onions. It’s an easy make-ahead meal.
A hearty breakfast is the best way to start a busy day. While we love pancakes and other sweet breakfasts in my house, sometimes a savory, protein-rich meal is in order.
This dairy free breakfast casserole is chock full of savory breakfast favorites. Eggs and sausage meet up with hash browns, peppers, and onions in this delicious dish. The flavors and textures in this meal make it irresistible.
Many people would add cheese to a dish like this, but it’s not necessary with all the other flavors working together so well here. Nobody misses the dairy in this dish.
Dairy Free Breakfast Casserole Tips
Frozen hash browns can go right into this recipe while still frozen. If your hash browns have salt in them, use less salt than the amount listed. And if your hash browns are defrosted, the cook time will be a bit shorter.
You can adapt this recipe by substituting chopped asparagus for the red pepper, use shallots instead of onions, or add some mushrooms for a different flavor. You can also skip the sausage for a vegetarian version. This dairy free breakfast casserole is a very flexible recipe that always comes out delicious.
Dairy Free Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage links sliced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup oat milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. diced scallions
- 16 oz frozen shredded hash browns
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the breakfast sausage and cook to brown, stirring frequently (4 to 5 minutes). Add the diced onion and bell pepper and stir. Continue cooking over medium heat until the onions and pepper are tender (3 to 4 minutes).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oat milk, mustard powder, onion powder, salt, and scallions.
- Place the shredded hash browns and cooked sausage and pepper in the prepared 9 by 13 inch pan. Pour the egg mixture on top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set. Serve warm.
This recipe costs $9.84 to make, or $1.23 per serving. Try this for an easy meal that everyone will love!
Pin it here:
Note: This post was originally published in 2013, and it was updated in 2021.