This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These gluten-free oat flour pancakes are a delicious alternative to traditional pancakes. This is healthy, frugal breakfast recipe.
Pancakes happen just about every weekend in my house.
Depending on the mood of the person who’s making them, they take many different forms. We make them with wheat flour, white flour, gluten-free flour, or a combination.
I recently decided to give another flour a try. Oats are so healthy for breakfast, so I thought, “Why not oat flour pancakes?”
After a few tries, I worked out this easy recipe for making pancakes with oat flour. The flavor is delicious, and it’s great to have another way to incorporate oats into my family’s diet.
Oat Flour Pancakes Tips
Oat Flour: You can buy pre-packaged oat flour, or you can make your own by grinding oats in a high powered blender.
It takes about 1 1/4 cups of rolled oats to make 1 cup of oat flour. This quantity of oats from Costco costs $.10. This is actually more affordable than any other flour I’ve used to make pancakes.
A cup of pre-packaged Bob’s Red Mill oat flour costs $.76 per cup. While it’s much more frugal to grind your own oat flour, you may want to grab a bag of already ground flour to save time in the morning.
Batter Texture: It’s best to cook these pancakes immediately after making the batter. If you leave it sitting for a while (or refrigerate overnight), the batter will thicken due to the oats. If this happens, just add an additional ¼ cup of coconut milk or so to the thickened batter. This should return it to a pourable consistency to make the pancakes.
Substitutions: If the oat flavor is too strong for your family, try substituting gluten-free flour or white whole wheat flour for up to half the oat flour in this recipe.
Here’s a video showing the easy process behind this recipe:
Oat Flour Pancakes
- 2 cups oat flour 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place 2 1/2 cups rolled oats in a high-powered blender or food processor. Process until you have 2 cups of fine oat flour. (Skip this step if you’re using pre-packaged oat flour.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium high heat. Lower the heat to medium low, then pour circles of batter onto the griddle. Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake to get 12 pancakes. Cook for one to two minutes on each side, flipping when the surface of the pancakes are dotted with small bubbles.
- Serve with fruit and maple syrup.
Gluten-Free Oat Pancakes Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $1.69 to make, or $.42 per serving (3 pancakes). Try these easy oat flour pancakes for a healthier version of this classic weekend breakfast.