This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These lemon blueberry pancakes are so fluffy and delicious! Ricotta cheese gives them their light texture, and the homemade blueberry sauce gives them the best flavor.
These lemon blueberry pancakes are the lightest, fluffiest version I have in my rotation. Nobody misses the wheat in these gluten free ricotta pancakes. The texture is perfection.
The blueberry factor in this recipe is mostly in the sauce. But I do also add some small wild blueberries to the batter. The berry flavor goes so well with lemon, and the ricotta gives these pancakes the perfect light texture.
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes Tips
I like to use small wild blueberries for the pancake batter, but regular fresh blueberries work, too. If you use frozen berries for the pancakes, defrost them first and then rinse them before adding them to the pancake batter. If you use them while they’re still frozen, it’s hard to cook the pancakes completely because the frozen berries slow down the process.
For the blueberry compote, I prefer regular sized fresh blueberries. You could use frozen berries as well for the sauce if that’s what you have, though. Either way is delicious.
You can make your own ricotta for these lemon blueberry pancakes to save money. If you don’t have ricotta on hand, you can substitute plain yogurt. The texture won’t be quite as fluffy, but it’ll be similar.
These pancakes are a bit sensitive to over-browning, so keep the burner between medium and medium low for the best results. Even if they’re a bit creamy in the middle, the taste is still wonderful.
Gluten Free Ricotta Pancakes Video
This recipe is so easy to make! Watch this video to see the quick process behind these gluten free ricotta pancakes with blueberry sauce:
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
For the Batter
For Blueberry Sauce
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 3 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, ricotta, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Do not overmix. Then carefully stir in the lemon zest and blueberries.
- Heat a griddle or large pan over medium heat. Then turn the heat down to medium low, and pour 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle for each pancake. They may stick a little, so you can heat up a bit of coconut oil or butter on the griddle before pouring on the batter if you’re not using a non-stick surface. Watch the pancakes carefully, and flip after a minute or two. Peek at the bottom of the pancakes by lifting an edge with a spatula and seeing if they’re starting to brown. Flip the pancakes, and cook on the other side for an additional minute or two.
- To make the sauce, heat the blueberries and maple syrup, covered, over medium heat for five minutes. Stir the arrowroot starch together with ½ tsp of water and add it to the blueberry mixture. Stir for a minute, or until it reaches the desired thickness. Add a bit more arrowroot starch mixed with water if needed.
- This recipe yields 16 pancakes if you use ¼ cup of batter per pancake. This is about 6 servings.
Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes Price Breakdown
This recipe costs $8.52 to make, or $1.42 per serving. This price assumes fresh blueberries are $1.50 per cup, so your cost will vary according to the price of blueberries at your market. Try this delicious lemon blueberry pancake recipe for a special breakfast treat!
Note: This post was originally published in 2012. The recipe, text, and images were updated in 2019.