This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
These gluten free sweet potato pancakes are a delicious, nourishing breakfast. The sweet potato gives them the best texture and flavor!
Pancakes are a weekly occurrence in my house. We love lots of different variations, including lemon blueberry, oat flour, and gluten free banana pancakes. Sometimes I make a one-dish Dutch baby when I don’t have time to be flipping pancakes on the griddle.
These gluten free sweet potato pancakes are another delicious variation for breakfast time. The mashed sweet potato gives them a fluffy texture, and the flavor is a nice change from basic pancakes.
You can top these pancakes with pure maple syrup, powdered sugar, or berries. They also taste great with my homemade berry sauce.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pancakes Tips
To make this recipe, peel and cook the sweet potatoes before adding them to the batter. I like to steam them for the sake of time, but baked sweet potatoes work just as well.
Be sure your griddle is well-seasoned before adding the batter to the hot griddle. This will make the pancakes easier to flip. You can season it with avocado oil, or another oil that has a high smoke point.
Keep these sweet potato pancakes warm in the oven while you’re cooking the remaining batter. I like to use a covered casserole dish to keep them warm so they don’t dry out before I’m ready to serve them.
Visit this collection of gluten-free pancake recipes for more breakfast and side dish ideas.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Peel the sweet potato, and cut it into one-inch cubes.
- Place two inches of water in a medium pot, and put a steamer basket in the pot. Add the cubed sweet potatoes. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil over medium high heat. Steam the sweet potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then mash the sweet potato.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, almond milk, avocado oil, and mashed sweet potato. Add the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter onto a hot griddle to make 4-inch pancakes, and flip when the surface is dotted with bubbles. This recipe makes about 14 pancakes.
These gluten free sweet potato pancakes cost a total of $2.44 to make, or $.61 per serving. I make these all the time because my family loves them, but it also doesn’t hurt that they’re so affordable!