This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
A big, hearty breakfast is one of my favorite things in life. When I’m out at a restaurant for breakfast or brunch, I’m always looking for something savory. With a plate full of protein and vegetables in the morning, I feel like I’m getting the best possible start to my day.
This breakfast skillet recipe is a feast fit for a special occasion, but it’s also easy enough to whip up on any old Saturday morning. Potatoes and other vegetables are topped with fried eggs for a filling, satisfying meal. Just place the skillet in the middle of the table and everyone can serve themselves.
- 1 tbs olive oil (or butter or bacon fat)
- 1/2 lb potatoes chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb medium leeks thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups chopped kale loosely packed
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 eggs
- In a very large covered skillet, saute the potatoes and sweet potatoes in the olive oil over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until all the potatoes are tender. Stir the potatoes occasionally to keep them from sticking to the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add 2 tablespoons of water to a separate skillet. Place the leeks in the pan and steam them (covered) for about 5 minutes, until just tender. Add the kale and cook with the top on for another minute. Remove the top and cook for another 30 seconds to evaporate most of the water.
- Remove the leeks and kale from the pan. Fry the eggs one or two at a time in the same pan over medium heat. Over easy eggs take about a minute, or you can cook them longer for firm yolks. (Note: If your crowd has big appetites, you may want to make 2 eggs per person.)
- When the potatoes are done cooking, place the leeks, kale, and eggs on top of them in the skillet. Re-heat everything briefly if needed, and serve immediately while everything is warm.
Breakfast Skillet Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $4.16, or $1.04 per serving. Make any morning a special occasion with this delicious breakfast skillet.