This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Chunky Monkey Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats recipe is such a treat for breakfast! I love these flavors together, and it’s easy to make this healthy recipe ahead of time in the Crock Pot. (gluten-free, vegan)
Make ahead breakfasts are essential for busy mornings. And if they’re delicious enough, they help motivate me to actually get out of bed.
These chunky monkey slow cooker steel cut oats are just the thing on one of those mornings. The flavors of banana, chocolate, and walnuts go so well together. It really tastes more like a treat than breakfast, but it’s healthy enough to get my day off to a good start.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats Tips
If you have a slow cooker that doesn’t run especially hot, you can cook this on low overnight and it will be waiting for you in the morning. My old Rival Crock Pot used to burn things when I tried this method, but my newer Hamilton Beach slow cooker seems to work well on low without burning things. If you’re not sure about your model, you can make it the day before on either low or high, keeping an eye on it until it reaches the texture you want. I recommend 2 to 3 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
For extra sweet oatmeal, you can add a little pure maple syrup to the mixture before cooking. I like to drizzle a bit on each bowl once it’s ready to serve. The chia seeds are optional, but they make this oatmeal a bit more filling, nutritious, and textured. Either way, you’ll love this easy, delicious breakfast.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats not quick cooking
- 4 cups water
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tbs chia seeds optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup diced walnuts
- Additional banana for serving optional
- Grease the slow cooker insert, then pour in the oats, water, bananas, chia seeds, and salt.
- Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. You can open the lid to stir occasionally, but that may increase the cook time.
- Divide the oatmeal among 4 bowls. Top each one with chocolate chips, walnuts, and sliced banana. Drizzle with pure maple syrup if desired.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $2.20 to make, or $.55 per serving. Try this delicious recipe for a fun, healthy breakfast.