Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This slow cooker pulled pork recipe is a delicious meal that will feed a crowd. It’s so easy to make this in the Crock Pot on a busy day.
This slow cooker pulled pork recipe is a super easy, make-ahead meal that can feed a crowd. It can also feed a small family several times, so it’s a great freezer meal. I’ve written before about my aversion to ketchup, and here I am again avoiding this ingredient. My pulled pork recipe includes a simple homemade barbecue sauce with lots of delicious flavor.
Pulled pork can stand alone as a main dish, but you can also serve it on a sandwich. It even works over rice, polenta, or baked potatoes. Garnish with cole slaw or serve aside a salad for a flavorful, well-balanced dish.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 1 large onion quartered
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- Place the onion and garlic in the slow cooker.
- Trim the visible fat off the pork shoulder, and cut it into a few large pieces if needed to fit in your slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together the paprika, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Rub these dry seasonings on the pork. Place the pork in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the vinegar, tomato sauce, and maple syrup. Pour the sauce over the pork.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. The pork will be cooked through after just a couple hours, but you want to keep cooking it "low and slow" so that it absorbs the flavors and shreds easily.
- After 8 hours, shred the pork by breaking it apart into small pieces with two forks.
- Puree the remaining sauce and pour a little bit over each serving.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Price Breakdown
The cost of this recipe depends largely on what you pay for pork. I can get local, humanely raised pork shoulder at Whole Foods for $4.99 per pound, yielding a total cost of $21.69 for this big batch of pulled pork. That comes out to $1.81 per serving. This delicious slow cooker pulled pork is an easy recipe to make when you’re serving a crowd.
What recipe do you make in the slow cooker when you have a big crowd to feed? Please tell us in the comments.