This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This apple chicken curry is so easy to make in the slow cooker! The sweet and savory flavors are delicious in this healthy dinner recipe.
I was a picky eater as a child. No roll on my burger, no jelly on my peanut butter sandwiches, and no tomato in any form whatsoever. I knew what I wanted, and it wasn’t much.
In my teen years, I gradually came out of my shell. One of the first “adventurous” meals I remember enjoying was a chicken curry recipe that my mom got from a neighbor. I don’t have that actual recipe, but this slow cooker apple chicken curry is my best guess at what was in that dish.
I love the sweet flavor of apples and raisins along with the savory seasonings in this mild curry. The celery still has a little crunch and the apples maintain the perfect soft texture with this slow cooker method. It takes just 15 minutes to prepare the ingredients. Serve this apple chicken curry with rice or noodles for a hearty dinner that even a picky eater can enjoy.
Slow Cooker Apple Chicken Curry
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- Pour the oil into a skillet and heat over medium-low. Add the onion and celery, and saute them for a few minutes. This helps to bring out their flavor in the curry. (If you’re in a rush, you can skip this step and add the raw onion and celery to the slow cooker.)
- Transfer the onions and celery to the slow cooker. Add the apples and raisins. Trim the fat off the chicken thighs if needed, then add the whole chicken thighs on top of the apples.
- In a measuring cup, measure out the chicken broth. Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the measuring cup, then stir the ingredients together. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Note: My Rival CrockPot tends to cook things fairly quickly, so your chicken might take longer. It’s safest to determine when the meat is done cooking by watching the internal temperature.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Let it cool down for a minute, and once it’s ready to handle, cut it into bite-sized pieces. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir everything together. Taste the mixture and add up to a half teaspoon of salt if needed. (This will depend on how salty your chicken broth is.)
- Serve warm over rice or rice noodles.
Approximate Nutrition Info
This recipe may contain affiliate links. A purchase or click through one of these links may result in a commission paid to us at no additional cost to you.
Apple Chicken Curry Price Breakdown
This recipe costs a total of $7.30 to make, or $1.83 per serving. Try this apple chicken curry for an easy slow cooker dinner on a busy night.